In this Python Tkinter tutorial, we will learn how to set background to be an image in Python Tkinter.
Set Background to be an Image in Python Tkinter
- There are more than one ways to add background images but one this is common in all of them that we use the Label widget to set the background.
- The simplest way to do this is to add a background image using PhotoImage() and place other widgets using Place geometry manager.
- Place geometry manager allows users to put the widget anywhere on the screen by providing x & y coordinates. You can even overlap the widgets by providing the same coordinates.
- PhotoImage() takes a file path as an argument and can be used later in code to display images. P
- The Only drawback of using PhotoImage is it works only with png images.
- In case you want to use other formats like jpeg in that case you can use pillow library
- use command:
pip install pillowto install this library
In this code, we have added a background image to the Python application. Other widgets like Text and button widgets are placed on the background image.
from tkinter import * ws = Tk() ws.title('PythonGuides') ws.geometry('500x300') ws.config(bg='yellow') img = PhotoImage(file="python-tkinter-background-image.png") label = Label( ws, image=img ) label.place(x=0, y=0) text = Text( ws, height=10, width=53 ) text.place(x=30, y=50) button = Button( ws, text='SEND', relief=RAISED, font=('Arial Bold', 18) ) button.place(x=190, y=250) ws.mainloop()
This is simple a dummy of email sending mechanism but it has a beautiful background image.
You may like the following Python Tkinter tutroials:
- Python tkinter label
- Python Tkinter Entry
- Python Tkinter Button
- Python Tkinter radiobutton
- Python Tkinter Checkbutton
- Python Tkinter Autocomplete
In this tutorial, we have learned how to set background to be an image in Python Tkinter